When you visit Washington, DC you will almost certainly check out the major monuments and memorials on the National Mall. Over the past few years, several new monuments have opened around the city. These are monuments both to former presidents and to major wars. Because they opened during the pandemic, their ceremonies didn’t have much fanfare. In this episode Rob is joined by guest Carolyn Muraskin to discuss these new sites, as well as a few other lesser-known memorials they think you should know about.
Carolyn is the owner of DC Design Tours, a tour company that runs historic walking tours with a focus on architecture, design and urban planning, including a few tours that cover sites discussed with Rob.
Listen to this episode now:
Or listen and subscribe in your favorite podcast app:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- National World War I Memorial
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial
- National Native American Veterans Memorial
- American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial
- George Mason Memorial
- Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II
- Updates to the Korean War Memorial
Want to book a Trip Hacks DC tour? You’re already in the right place? Check out all the tour options here.